September 26 & 27
Halifax Theatre for Young People
Three short plays by Nova Scotian playwrights inspired by original Nova Scotian art, Art Attackk! is a “vibrant and fascinating mix of art and theatre”. This funny and endearing show includes a hip hop musical, the story of an unexpected encounter at the art gallery and a eulogy for a cat! Art Attackk! hits kids where they live and demonstrates that art and creativity can help us understand, accept, and express our emotions and connect with others.
“[This} wonderful mix of art and plays helped to inform students of the importance of understanding their feelings and positive connections with others. I would recommend to any school looking for an engaging presentation for their students.”
(Vice-Principal,Cunard Jr. High)
“A vibrant and fascinating mix of art and theatre”. “So lovely to see this with my family. What a memory!”
Show Dates & Time:
Thursday, September 26, 1 PM
Friday, September 27, 10:30 AM
The play runs for approximately 45 minutes and is followed by a Q&A for up to 15 minutes.
On the Right Track by Jacob Sampson
Artwork: Ocean Limited by Alex Colville
Copyright A.C. Fine Art Inc. Collection of the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Cats are More than Memes by Richie Wilcox
Photo credits: Terry Pulliam
There are Rules (but only sometimes) by Lindsay Wilson
Folk Art replicas inspired by pieces in the AGNS
Director: Tessa Mendel
Design: Katrin Whitehead
Sound: Brian Riley
Stage Manager: Tessa Pekeles
Art Attakk! addresses the following 2 – 6 Curriculum Outcomes:
English Language Arts
- Learn to respond critically to a range of texts, applying their knowledge of language, form and genre.
- Interact with sensitivity and respect, considering cultural contexts, audience, purpose, and situation.
- Explore, clarify and reflect upon thoughts and experiences.
- Develop awareness that values are an integral part in making healthy decisions and fostering healthy behaviour
- Develop awareness of the link between positive self‐identity and making healthy decisions that affect relationships and care of self
- Reflect upon and develop respect for art and art making
- Examine a broad range of artworks through time and cultures
- Seek personal meaning in artwork and communicate their discoveries
- Explore art as a way of expressing ideas and points of view
- Consider possible consequences of decisions, judgments, and solutions to problems and begin to accept responsibility for actions.
Halifax Theatre for Young People occupies a unique place within the theatre ecology of both our local community and our region as the only full-time TYA Company in Halifax Regional Municipality uniquely dedicated to serving the needs of young people.
HTYP is mandated to create meaningful, engaging theatre experiences for young people and their families. Striving for artistic excellence in all production areas, HTYP honours the imaginations of audiences of all ages and strives to ignite the unlimited capacity of youth for empathy and an understanding of diverse human experience.
Suitable for Grades 2 – 6
Matinees for School Groups
To book your school group or get ore information, please contact us at 1-902-254-2003 or email us at Admin@shipscompanytheatre.com
Online Availability Request
Teachers are busy. Our Online Availability Request form lets you reach out to us on your time with your preferred booking details. Simply fill in the required information and we’ll respond to you ASAP to finalize your booking and answer any questions you have. (Please note that your online request is a first step and does not guarantee your requested performance or date selection and is not a confirmed booking.)
Resources for Educators
To enhance the educational component of our matinees for school groups, Ship’s Company Theatre is pleased to provide resource guides for each of Kids’ Stage presentations.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
Copyright © Ship's Company Theatre