About Ship’s Company Theatre
Mandate and Mission Statement
The mandate of the company is to be a prime centre for the production and development of Canadian and Atlantic theatre serving a local, regional, and tourist audiences.
The Ship’s Company Theatre seeks to fulfill its mission through:
- Developing and presenting theatrical performances of Canadian plays, with an emphasis on Atlantic plays.
- The engagement, promotion and professional development of Canadian artists, with priority given to Atlantic artists.
- A dedication to innovative theatrical expression, reflecting our unique performance venue, geographic location and cultural heritage.
- Participation as a cultural leader and partner in our various communities: The Town of Parrsboro, The Municipality of Cumberland County, The Province of Nova Scotia.
- Managing the activities of the company in a fiscally responsible fashion and ensuring the Company’s property is sufficient and in an appropriate condition for all activities.
We at Ship’s Company Theatre recognize we must continually assess the organization and ourselves and the work that we are doing, especially in regards to accessibility and inclusion. We recognize that we need to continue to grow, to change, and to adapt in order to educate, to create space; to invite people to experience different stories, share their own, and to celebrate all voices. Ship’s is working to create and sustain a safe and welcoming environment for all by providing a stage, and organization as a whole, where diverse ideas and perspectives can grow.
Ship’s Company Theatre is continuing to improve the accessibility of our building and our programming. We recognize that theatre has historically been exclusive, especially in regards to accessibility, and two current major goals of the organization are to provide a fully accessible venue and provide various access points to programming. We know that there is much work to be done to meet these goals, and it is work that needs to be done as a community. We invite you to speak with the Artistic Director or General Manager to learn more about the specific steps we are taking.
Board of Directors
Vice Chair: Rena Kossatz
Secretary: Lori Kyle
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
BOX OFFICE HOURS
Physical Box Office now closed until Summer 2023
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
We are located in Awokun, Mi’kma’ki, also known as Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, which is on land that is in the unceded and unsurrendered territory of the Mi’kmaq people. The Mi’kmaq people have been here on this land for over 11,000 years. In 1752 a treaty was signed between the British and the Mi’kmaq that detailed the sharing of the land and its resources. We know that the rights within this treaty have not been upheld. As descendants of settlers who colonized this land, it is important that we think about our relationship to the land, to Mi’kmaq culture and its people, and how we can make a future where we actually share the land and the resources it gives us. We need to think about how we can move forward to enact a future of respect and generosity. And we need to act immediately, with kindness and compassion. A major step in this process is educating ourselves. Ship’s Company Theatre is on a continuing journey of awareness and education. We encourage you to join us.
Copyright © Ship's Company Theatre