Masstown Market Shipwright Residency
The Masstown Market Shipwright Residency is one small step Ship’s Company Theatre is taking presently to take action against the suppression of BIPOC voices, including within our own make-up and history. This is a step in continuing to make way for the development of Atlantic Canadian artists and offer a platform for all Atlantic Canadian stories to be heard.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS, DEADLINE APRIL 3, 2023
Applicants must be artists who:
- self-identify as part of the BIPOC communities,
- are creating work to be performed
- currently reside in Mik’ma’ki/Wolastokuk/Atlantic Canada and/or are originally from Mik’ma’ki/Wolastokuk/Atlantic Canada
We encourage applicants from the BIPOC communities who also identify as Queer and/or persons with a disability to submit
What Ship’s Will Provide:
- accommodations for three weeks (August 20th to September 10th) in Awokun, Mi’kma’ki/Parrsboro, NS
- support in travel to and from Awokun, Mi’kma’ki/Parrsboro, NS
- a workshop with additional artists decided upon in consultation with the resident artist
- dramaturgical support decided upon in consultation with the resident artist
- opportunity for an artist talk and/or a public reading to showcase work and gain feedback
- access to Ship’s Company Theatre’s office and venue
- ‘field trips’ to local trails and spots of interest and inspiration within the region
- $2,000 honorarium for the three weeks
- Tell us about yourself and your artistic practice.
- Describe two past artistic experiences you have been involved in. These could be professional or community based. These experiences might be educational or personal projects, workshops or fully produced shows. The range of what you can draw from is wide – what is important is we get a sense of why these artistic experiences were important to you.
- What would be your focus for this residency? Is there a question on your mind? Do you have a story that you want to tell? How do you envision yourself using the time within this residency?
The above three questions should be answered within 4 pages at maximum. If the applicant would rather submit a video file answering the questions, the video should not go beyond 8 minutes.
If the applicant has questions or concerns around the submission process, especially accessibility concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We are happy to work with you on the process and will do our best to ensure all applicants are accommodated.
The deadline for submissions is April 3, 2023 by 4pm AST. Any questions as well as application submissions can be emailed to email@example.com. You can also reach Ship’s Company Theatre at 902-254-2003.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
BOX OFFICE HOURS
Our box office is now closed.
Tickets can be purchased online or
by calling 1-800-565-SHOW
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
Copyright © Ship's Company Theatre